Originally aired October 20, 2009
- 2 tablespoons EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 ribs celery from the heart, chopped
- 2 onions, cut into half-inch dice
- 4 carrots, peeled and cut into half-inch dice
- 1 potato, peeled and diced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- Salt and pepper
- 2 quarts vegetable or chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 rounded tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 box Jiffy biscuit mix, prepared to box directions
- 3 to 4 tablespoons fresh tarragon leaves, chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
Heat a large Dutch oven or heavy soup pot with a lid over medium heat with EVOO. When oil is hot, add celery, onions, carrots, potato, zucchini, bay leaf, salt and pepper. Stir and cover, about 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add stock, raise heat to bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium-low to keep a rolling simmer.
Melt butter in microwave or small pot and combine with flour and Dijon mustard. Whisk the roux into soup.
Prepare the biscuit mix according to package directions, adding parsley to the dough.
Stir peas and tarragon into soup. Use 2 teaspoons to drop small, walnut-sized dumplings into the soup and cover pot with lid. Cook 6 minutes then uncover and check that the dumplings are firm. Ladle soup into bowls and serve immediately.