Serves 4 as an appetizer
Originally aired October 15, 2009
- 16 baby portobello mushrooms, creminis
- 1 pound ground chicken or turkey breast
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds, 1/3 palmful
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, grated or finely chopped
- 1 lemon
- 1 cup shredded Asiago cheese
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs, a couple of handfuls
- 1 10-ounce box frozen chopped spinach, defrosted and wrung of excess liquid
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup pine nuts or chopped almonds
Wipe mushrooms clean with a damp cloth. Remove stems and finely chop.
Preheat oven to 400F.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground meat, fennel seed, onion, garlic, lemon zest, half of the cheese, chopped mushroom stems, breadcrumbs, spinach, and season with salt and pepper. Season the mushroom caps as well with salt and pepper, brush lightly with EVOO and stuff the mixture into them.
Arrange on a baking sheet or in a baking dish. Leave some room around each mushroom to prevent the caps from getting steamy. Sprinkle the remaining cheese and nuts on the caps and transfer to the oven. Bake until the mushrooms are tender and filling is cooked through, about 25 minutes.