Makes 8, 2-ounce sliders
Originally aired October 1, 2009
- 1 pound ground turkey or turkey breast
- 2 teaspoons five spice powder, about 2/3 palmful
- 1 inch fresh ginger root, peeled and grated or minced
- 1 clove garlic, grated or finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- About 1/4 cup fresh chives, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce, Chinese-style barbeque sauce available in the Asian food aisle of market
- 1/2 mango, peeled, pitted and finely diced
- 1/4 bell pepper, seeded and chopped into fine dice
- 1/4 medium red onion, chopped into fine dice
- 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 small head of butter or bibb lettuce
- 8 small brioche rolls, dinner rolls or packaged slider rolls, such as Pepperidge Farm
In a medium mixing bowl, add turkey, five spice powder, ginger, garlic, salt, pepper and chives. Form 8 2-ounce slider-size patties, about 3 inches in diameter.
Place a large skillet over medium-high heat, add vegetable oil. Add sliders and cook 3 minutes on each side. Once you turn the patties, baste with the hoisin sauce.
While the burgers are cooking, combine the mango, red pepper, red onion, lime juice and honey and stir to combine.
Place a burger on a roll and top with lettuce and mango relish.