Aired September 25, 2009
- 1 tablespoon EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 pound hot dogs, beef pork, turkey or tofu, chopped or thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar (eyeball the amount)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce (eyeball the amount)
- 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- Salt and pepper
- 4 crusty split-top hot dog rolls, toasted and lightly buttered
- Suggested garnishes: chopped tomatoes, chopped pickles and yellow mustard
Place a large skillet over medium-high heat with 1 turn of the pan of EVOO, about 1 tablespoon. Add the hot dogs to the pan and cook until golden brown, 4-5 minutes.
Add the onion and bell pepper to the pan, and continue cooking until the veggies are tender, 3-4 minutes. Add the tomato paste to the pan and cook until darkened and aromatic, about 1 minute.
In a medium bowl, stir together the brown sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire and tomato sauce. Add the mixture to the pan, season with salt and pepper, and simmer until thickened and saucy, about 5 minutes more.
Pile the sloppy meat onto the toasted, buttered bun. Top with tomatoes, pickles and mustard.