Originally aired September 16, 2009
- 1/4 cup flour, for dredging
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup finely ground nuts, such as almonds, walnuts or pecans
- 2 tablespoons chopped herbs, such as parsley, thyme, or basil
- 2 tablespoons EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 beefsteak tomato, sliced
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 8 slices of your favorite cheese, such as Gruyere, Havarti or provolone
Set up 3 plates or shallow bowls and fill one with the flour, one with the eggs and one with the ground nuts and herbs.
Place a large skillet over medium-high heat with 2 turns of the pan of EVOO, about 2 tablespoons. Season each slice of tomato with salt and pepper, and sandwich between 2 slices of cheese. Carefully toss each bundle in the flour, then the egg and then the ground nuts to coat.
Place each bundle into the skillet and cook until the nuts are golden brown and the cheese has melted, 2-3 minutes per side. Serve immediately.