Serves 4 servings
Originally aired July 13, 2009
- 1/2 pound ground turkey breast
- 1 cup leftover cooked rice
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 4-ounce chunk pepper jack cheese, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1/4 cup (about a handful) cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1/4 small red onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon (a palmful) chili powder
- 1 tablespoon (a palmful) grill seasoning
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce (optional)
- 2 tablespoons EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 Kaiser rolls, toasted
- 1 heart of romaine, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 2 avocados, chopped
In a bowl, combine the ground turkey, cooked rice, beans, cheese, cilantro, red onion, chili powder, grill seasoning, cumin and hot sauce. Score the meat into 4 equal portions with the side of your hand then form each portion into patties about an inch thick.
Preheat a large, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat with 2 turns of the pan of EVOO, about 2 tablespoons. Cook patties 6-7 minutes on each side, until cooked through.
Serve the burgers on the toasted rolls, topped with some lettuce, a couple slices of tomato and some avocado.