Aired July 10, 2009
- 3 pounds baby red potatoes, halved or quartered, depending on size
- 1 1/2 cups beef consomm, from a can
- 6 slices of thick-cut bacon, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 4 knockwurst, split lengthwise (recommended brand Boar's Head)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup EVOO - Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup parsley, chopped
- Spicy brown mustard, to serve
Preheat grill or grill pan to medium-high.
In a large pot, place all the potatoes and cover them with cold water. Bring up to a bubble over medium-high heat and cook until tender. Drain thoroughly the return them to the pot. Add the beef consomm and give them a quick stir.
While the potatoes are cooking, cook the bacon in a small skillet over medium heat until crispy. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Cook the onion in the same skillet with the bacon drippings. If there's too much oil in the pan, drain off all but 1 tablespoon. Cook the onion until soft, about 3 minutes, then set aside.
Place the knockwurst on the grill and cook until heated through and brown on the outside, about 7-8 minutes.
While the knockwurst is cooking, in a small pot over medium-high heat, dissolve the sugar in the cider vinegar, about 1 minute. Season with salt and ground black pepper, and mix in the EVOO. Pour over the cooked potatoes and toss them together with the parsley and onion and bacon mixture.
Serve the grilled knockwurst with the potato salad alongside.