Serves 4 servings
Originally aired June 29, 2009
- 1 1/2 pounds ground pork or turkey
- 1 1/2 teaspoon (about 1/2 palmful) ground sage
- 1 1/2 teaspoon (about 1/2 palmful) ground thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoon (about 1/2 palmful) cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar or maple syrup
- 4 slices sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 sammy-size English muffins, toasted
In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground pork with the ground sage, thyme and cayenne pepper. Mix well with your hands then form the meat into 4 equal-sized patties.
Preheat a large skillet with EVOO over medium heat. Sear the patties on both sides then add the ketchup, Worcestershire, soy sauce and brown sugar to the skillet and let that cook down until it coats the burgers and becomes saucy, about 5-6 minutes.
Place the English muffin halves on a baking sheet and pop them under the broiler to toast.
Place a piece of cheddar cheese over the top of each burger. Melt the cheese by popping the skillet under the broiler real quick. Serve the burgers on the toasted English muffins topped with a spoonful of the sauce.