Serves about 3 cups
Originally aired May 18, 2009
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
- 1/2 red bell pepper, grated (about 1/4 cup)
- 1/2 small Spanish or sweet onion, grated (about 1/4 cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper, such as jalapeo, grated
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 3/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup canola oil
In a medium-size mixing bowl, combine the salt, sugar, oregano, pepper, garlic, bell pepper, onion, hot pepper, lemon zest and juice, and vinegar. Pure the ingredients together with a hand blender for about 30 seconds. (If you dont have a hand blender, combine the ingredients in a regular blender). With the blender running, stream the oils into the bowl and mix until incorporated.
The marinade can be used immediately or stored for up to 4 days (the dressing may separate if left in the refrigerator, just zap it back together in the blender).