Serves 4 servings
Originally aired May 1, 2009
- 1 pound Spanish chorizo, chopped
- 2 tablespoons EVOO - Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 baking potato, peeled and diced
- 6 ears of corn, kernels removed or 3 to 4 cups frozen corn
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 to 5 sprigs thyme, leaves removed and chopped
- 1 fresh or dry bay leaf
- 1 28-ounce can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 1 large bunch kale, thick stems removed, leaves roughly chopped (about 4 cups)
- 4 Portuguese rolls or English muffins
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Parsley or cilantro, for garnish
Place a large pot over medium-high heat with 2 turns of the pan of EVOO, about 2 tablespoons. Add the chorizo and cook stirring every now and then for 2-3 minutes. Add the potatoes and corn, and brown that up a little bit, then add bell pepper, onions, garlic, thyme, bay leaf, salt and pepper, and cook for 5 minutes.
Pour in the tomatoes and chicken stock, and bring up to a bubble. Simmer for 5 minutes. Add the kale and simmer for 5 more minutes.
Just before serving, split and toast the rolls or muffins. Spread them with butter and sprinkle with a little paprika. Garnish soup with parsley or cilantro and lime juice and serve the toasted rolls or muffins alongside.