Aired April 17, 2009
- 1 pound wide egg noodles
- 2 tablespoons EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
- 1 bunch asparagus, woody stems removed and stalks sliced on the bias into small chunks
- 1/2 pound green beans, trimmed and sliced in half on the bias
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 10-ounce box frozen peas
- 1 10-ounce box frozen chopped spinach, defrosted
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Ground black pepper
Place a large pot of water over high heat to boil the pasta. When the water reaches a bubble, salt it, drop the pasta in and cook to al dente according to package directions. Just before draining the pasta, reserve a mug of starchy cooking water then drain and reserve.
While the pasta is cooking, place a large skillet over medium-high heat with 2 turns of the pan of EVOO, about 2 tablespoons. Add the onion and garlic to the pan, and cook until just tender, about 4 minutes. Add the asparagus and green beans to the pan and continue cooking for another 1 minute.
Push the veggies to the sides of the pan to make a well and drop in the butter to melt. Sprinkle the flour over the melted butter and cook for about 1 minute. Add the stock, mustard, reserved mug of pasta-cooking water (about 1/2 cup) and sour cream to the pan and whisk to combine.
Add the peas and spinach to the pan and simmer until the sauce has thickened, about 2 minutes. Add the cooked pasta, dill, parsley and lemon juice to the pan, season with salt and pepper, and toss to combine.