Serves 4-6 servings
Originally aired April 10, 2009
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup beef broth or stock
- 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups ground beef or turkey
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 cup Quaker oats, toasted
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 pound whole wheat spaghetti
- Fresh herbs for garnish
- Grated parmesan cheese, for garnish
Preheat the oven to 350F.
Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a pan, add the flour and cook, stirring constantly for 2 minutes. Gradually stir in the beef stock and cook, stirring constantly for 5 minutes more. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, tarragon and oregano. Season well and simmer for 30 minutes.
Mix the ground beef or turkey, onion, garlic and paprika with the toasted oats, and season to taste. Shape the mixture into 12 meatballs.
Heat the oil and the remaining butter in a skillet and fry the meatballs, turning them until brown all over. Place in a deep casserole dish and pour the tomato sauce over them, cover and bake for 15 minutes.
While the meatballs are in the oven, bring a large saucepan of lightly salted water to boil. Add the pasta and cook to al dente.
Serve the meatballs over the cooked noodles and garnish with the herbs and parmesan cheese.