Serves 4 servings
Originally aired March 13, 2009
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 slices bread, torn
- 1 1/4 pounds mixed ground sirloin, pork and veal
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 pinches dried oregano
- 1/4 cup (about a handful) grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- Salt and ground black pepper
- EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil, as needed for drizzling
- 12 miniature mozzarella balls (bocconcini), halved
- 12 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 24 small basil leaves
Preheat oven to 400F.
In a small bowl, pour the milk over the bread and let sit for a couple of minutes, until the bread is soaked through. When the bread is soaked, lightly squeeze out the excess milk and add it to a large mixing bowl along with the ground meats, garlic, parsley, oregano, Parmigiano Reggiano, some salt and pepper. Combine the mixture with your hands and shape it into 24 small meatballs (arrange the meatballs on a baking sheet as you shape them). Drizzle the meatballs with EVOO and bake in the oven until cooked through, 12-15 minutes.
When the meatballs are done, let rest until cool enough to handle but still warm. Thread the meatballs, halved mozzarella balls, tomatoes and basil on skewers. Serve with Salad-a-Ghetti.