Serves 6 to 8 servings, as a snack
Originally aired March 13, 2009
- 2 pints grape tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 focaccia, split open or 8 slices crusty white bread
- 1 ball fresh regular or smoked mozzarella
- 12 leaves basil, torn
- 1/4 pound sliced pepperoni or hot sopressata (optional)
Preheat oven to 425F. Preheat a panini press or place a large skillet over medium-high heat.
Scatter the tomatoes onto a baking sheet and toss them with the EVOO, oregano, salt and pepper. Roast until they begin to burst, about 20 minutes. Transfer the tomatoes to a large bowl and mash them into a chunky sauce using a spoon or potato masher.
Spread the tomato sauce over the cut side of each slice of focaccia or bread and arrange the mozzarella and torn basil over top (if using the meat, layer that in as well). Close up the sandwich(es) and place into the press or skillet and grill until toasted and heated through (if using the skillet, weigh the sandwich down with another pan and flip over once one side is toasted).
Cut the sandwiches up and serve.