Aired March 13, 2009
- 1 pound ground sirloin
- 1 pound ground veal
- 2 cloves garlic, grated or finely chopped
- Freshly grated nutmeg, about 1/4 teaspoon
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley, about a handful, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
- 4 portabello mushroom caps, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons thyme, chopped
- 1/2 cup Marsala wine
- 2 tablespoons butter
- A chunk of Parmigiano-Reggiano for shaving
- 4 crusty Kaiser or ciabatta rolls, split
In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground meats with the garlic, spices and chopped parsley. Score the meat into 4 equal portions then form patties thicker at edges and thinner at the center for even cooking.
Preheat a large, nonstick skillet with 1 tablespoon EVOO. Add the patties to the hot skillet and cook about 8 minutes total for medium rare, 10 minutes for medium, and 12 minutes for well-done, turning once.
Meanwhile, heat another large skillet over high heat with the remaining EVOO. Let the oil get hot, then add the mushrooms and saut until golden brown. Toss in thyme and douse the mushrooms with the Marsala. Cook until reduced.
While the burgers and mushroom are cooking, spilt the rolls and toast them under the broiler.
To assemble, place a patty inside each bun and top each burger with some Marsala mushrooms. Serve with Alfredo Potato Finger Fries alongside.