Aired February 13, 2009
- 2 tablespoons EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 pound ground sirloin
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoons chili powder
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup yellow mustard
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 tube frozen pizza dough, defrosted
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour or cornmeal
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
Preheat oven to 375F.
Place large skillet over medium-high heat with 2 turns of the pan of EVOO, about 2 tablespoons. Add the meat to the pan and cook until golden brown, 5-6 minutes.
Add the onion and chili powder to the pan, season with salt and pepper, and cook until the onion is tender, 4-5 minutes.
Add the mustard, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce and beef stock to the pot, bring up to a bubble and simmer until thickened, 4-5 minutes. Let cool.
Dust your hands and lightly coat the pizza dough with flour or cornmeal before rolling it out onto a work surface. Roll out the dough slightly so it's approximately 11x16".
Top the dough with the cooled meat mixture and top that with the cheese. Leave a one-inch border on each side. Fold all the borders in and over onto an inch of the meat mixture. Roll the dough up into a log shape forming a spiral in the middle.
Brush the roll with egg wash and sprinkle it with sesame seeds. Transfer the roll to a baking sheet and bake until dough is evenly golden brown, about 45 minutes. Let cool slightly.
To serve, slice up the cheeseburger bread and serve with a side of ketchup for dipping.