Serves In a perfect world this recipe would feed 6, but chances are better than not, that your guests will go back for seconds!
Originally aired February 6, 2009
- 1 ripe Haas avocado, pit and peel removed, finely chopped
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped or grated
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1/2 jalapeo, seeded and finely chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon EVOO - Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper
- 6 Italian sausages without fennel (hot or sweet, as you prefer)
- 6 crusty rolls (ciabatta, Kaiser, Portuguese, whatever kind you like)
Prepare the salsa by mixing the avocado, onion, garlic, tomato, parsley, jalapeo, lime juice, olive oil, salt and pepper. Reserve in the fridge while you cook the sausages.
Cut the sausages lengthwise so they open like a book (be sure not to cut them all the way through).Grill the sausages, away from direct flame. Open the rolls just before the sausages are ready and place them on the grill to toast them up.
To serve, lay the sausages in the rolls and top with the avo-salsa.