Serves 4 servings
Originally aired February 6, 2009
- 1 store-bought rotisserie chicken or meat from Citrus Roasted Chicken
- 3 dried ancho peppers, stemmed and seeded
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
- 2 tablespoons sherry or sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 8 soft flour tortillas
Place the ancho peppers and chicken stock into a small pot over medium-high heat. Bring up to a bubble and simmer until the peppers are very tender, about 15 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a food processor or blender and puree until smooth. Reserve.
Place a large skillet over medium-high heat with 2 turns of the pan of EVOO, about 2 tablespoons. Add the red onion and garlic to the pan, and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
While the veggies are cooking, remove the skin and meat from the chicken, and shred the meat.
Add the sherry or sherry vinegar to the pan and cook for a minute to burn off the alcohol. Add the oregano, cumin, coriander, shredded chicken and ancho puree to the skillet and cook (add a splash of chicken stock if the mixture is too thick), until heated through, 3-4 minutes.
Portion the meat mixture into tortillas and serve with Pomegranate Guacamole and Green Rice on the side.