Aired January 26, 2009
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 cup buttermilk
- EVOO - Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 1 tablespoon plus more for drizzling
- 1 large red or yellow onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 pounds ground pork
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- Black pepper
- 1/4 cup grainy mustard
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs, a couple of handfuls
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 to 3 tablespoons hot sauce, depending on how spicy you like it
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 4 to 5 scallions, sliced on bias, for garnish
Cover potatoes with water and bring to a boil, season with salt and cook to tender, 12-15 minutes. When potatoes are ready, drain and return to hot pot, mash with buttermilk to the desired consistency. Then, preheat the oven to 375F.
Heat 1 tablespoon EVOO in medium skillet over medium heat and add 1/4 of the onions and half the garlic to pan and cook to soften, 5-6 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and cool. To cool onions add pork, a palmful of paprika, thyme, salt and pepper, mustard, egg and breadcrumbs. Mix to combine and form 4 loaves 2 inches thick, drizzle liberally with EVOO and arrange on parchment lined baking sheet and roast 35-40 minutes until firm and golden.
To the same skillet, add butter and melt, add remaining onions and garlic, celery, pepper, salt and pepper and cook to soften 5-6 minutes. Add tomato paste and stir 1 minute. Sprinkle flour over the pan and stir a minute more. Stir in stock then hot sauce, thicken over medium low heat a couple of minutes then turn heat to lowest setting to keep warm.
Serve the meatloaves topped with the Trinity Gravy and garnished with the scallions, and Mashed Sweet Potatoes alongside.