Serves 4 servings
Originally aired December 1, 2008
- 2 tablespoons EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper
- Juice of 4 tangerines or 6 clementines, zest of 1
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1-inch piece of ginger, peeled and sliced
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 2 cups chicken stock, divided
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced on the bias
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/2 tablespoon turmeric
- 1 1/2 cups couscous
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat with 1 turn of the pan of EVOO. Season chicken with salt and pepper, and cook in the hot pan until brown on both sides and cooked through, about 12 minutes. Remove chicken to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
Add citrus juice and zest, brown sugar, sliced ginger, cinnamon stick, hot sauce and 1/2 cup chicken stock to skillet and simmer until syrupy, 5-6 minutes.
While the sauce cooks, heat 1 tablespoon EVOO in a saucepot over medium heat and saut carrots and scallions for 3-4 minutes. Add 1 1/2 cups stock, bring to a boil then stir in curry, turmeric and couscous. Cover the pot and turn heat off. Let couscous stand 5 minutes, fluff with fork.
To serve, slice chicken breasts on a bias and fan them out on a bed of couscous. Drizzle tangerine sauce over everything.