Aired November 14, 2008
- 6 large (about 8 cups) Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored and sliced (use Granny Smiths for a more tart flavor)
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 cup whole milk
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 quart store-bought pumpkin ice cream
- Store-bought caramel sauce
Preheat oven to 325F.
Place apples in a 13x9 baking dish. Sprinkle with lemon juice and toss to coat.
In a medium bowl, mix together 2 cups sugar, flour, baking powder, 1 teaspoon salt and the cinnamon. Add milk and melted butter, and mix well. Pour batter evenly over apples and set aside.
In a small bowl, mix remaining 1/2 cup sugar, cornstarch and 1 teaspoon salt. Sprinkle over batter. Evenly pour the boiling water on top then transfer to the oven and bake for 50 minutes, until golden brown and bubbling.
Can be served warm or at room temperature, topped with a scoop of pumpkin ice cream and drizzled with caramel sauce.