Serves 6 servings
Originally aired October 24, 2008
- 2 tablespoons EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 8 slices bacon, chopped
- 4 ears corn, kernels removed from cob or 1 10-ounce box frozen corn, defrosted
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeo, seeded and chopped
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
- 2 15-ounce cans butter beans, drained
- 1 28-ounce can diced, fire-roasted tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 1/4 cup biscuit mix, such as Bisquick
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons chives, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- Zest and juice of 2 limes
- Salt and ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 450F.
Place a large saucepan over medium-high heat with 2 turns of the pan of EVOO, about 2 tablespoons. Add the bacon to the pan and cook until crispy, 4-5 minutes.
Add the corn, bell peppers, onion, jalapeo and garlic to the pan. Cook until the veggies are tender, 6-7 minutes. Add the butter beans, tomatoes and stock to the pan, and bring the liquids up to a bubble. Simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes.
Combine the biscuit mix with milk and pepper jack cheese in a medium-size mixing bowl. Drop 10 to 12 biscuits onto a nonstick baking sheet and bake until light golden brown, 8-10 minutes.
Serve the stoup garnished with chives, cilantro, lime zest and juice, and salt and pepper to taste. Ladle stoup into bowls and top each with a pepper jack biscuit.