Aired October 22, 2008
- 3 tablespoons EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
- 1 pound Italian sausage, chopped into chunks
- 1 cup pepperoni, chopped into chunks
- 2 bell peppers choose your favorite colors
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 2 sprigs fresh oregano
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, torn and divided
- A dozen eggs
- A splash of milk or half-and-half (whatever you put in your coffee)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese (whatever kind you like)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano
Preheat oven to 400F.
Place a large, nonstick, oven-safe skillet over medium heat with 2 turns of the pan EVOO, about 2 tablespoons. Add the sausage and cook until golden brown, 7-8 minutes. Throw in the pepperoni and peppers, and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
While the toppings are cooking, place a small saucepan over medium heat with one turn of the pan of EVOO, and saut garlic and onion for 5 minutes. Add the tomato sauce and bring to a bubble. Season with oregano and half of the basil.
Beat together the eggs with some salt and milk, and pour over skillet with the sausage and peppers. Let eggs set then transfer the pan to the oven. When the frittata looks almost cooked through, about 10 minutes, the remove from oven and coat the top with sauce. Top frittata with the cheeses and return to the oven to finish cooking and melt the cheeses, 3-4 minutes.
Remove pizza from oven, top with remaining basil, cut into wedges and serve.