4 to 6 servings
Aired October 10, 2008
- 5 tablespoons EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
- 1/2 pound pancetta or bacon, cut into small dice
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 1/2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 cup Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 store-bought pizza dough from your favorite pizzeria
- 1 medium-size ball smoked mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup hot cherry peppers, sliced
Preheat oven to 400F.
Preheat a medium-size skillet over medium-low heat with 1 turn of the pan of EVOO, about 1 tablespoon. Add pancetta and cook until brown and crispy, about 5-6 minutes.
When pancetta is almost done, add in the garlic and cook until fragrant and toasted. Remove to a mixing bowl, let cool. To the mixing bowl, add the cheeses, parsley and egg yolks, and set aside.
Roll the pizza dough out on a floured surface so it is large enough to fit into a 12-inch skillet (use one that's oven-safe).
Before placing the dough into the skillet, drizzle about 3 to 4 tablespoons EVOO on the bottom of the skillet. Lay the dough into the skillet, pressing gently as you work the dough up the sides so it reaches the edge of the skillet. Fill with the carbonara filling and sprinkle the smoked mozzarella cheese and hot cherry peppers on top.
Pop it into the oven to bake for 55-60 minutes, until the edges and bottom of the crust are golden brown.