3 1/2 cups
Aired October 6, 2008
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons peeled and finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle powder (see note)
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) sliced almonds, toasted
Bring the sugar, vinegar, and salt to a boil in a large nonreactive saucepan over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and cook until reduced by half, about 10 minutes.
Stir in the tomatoes, onion, garlic, ginger, and chipotle powder. Simmer until thickened, stirring often, about 30 minutes. Stir in the raisins and almonds. Cool, cover, and refrigerate until ready to serve.