Aired October 3, 2008
- 8 strips bacon
- 3 tablespoons EVOO - Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons (about a palmful) fennel seeds
- 2 tablespoons grill seasoning
- A few grates fresh nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground dry mustard
- 8 slices cheddar cheese
- 4 sandwich-size English muffins, toasted
- For the Chunky Cranberry Sauce:
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup (about a handful) flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1 14-ounce can whole-berry cranberry sauce
- Salt and ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 375F.
Lay the bacon out onto a slotted broiler pan and bake in the oven until golden and crispy, about 8 minutes.
Place a large skillet over medium-high heat with 2 turns of the pan of EVOO, about 2 tablespoons. While the pan is heating up, combine ground turkey, maple syrup, fennel seeds, grill seasoning, nutmeg, sage and ground mustard in a large mixing bowl. Work the meat together with your hands, then divide it into four portions. Shape each portion of meat into a patty, pressing down slightly in the middle, and drop them into the hot pan. Cook the burgers until golden brown and cooked through, about 6 minutes per side.
While the burgers are cooking, make the cranberry sauce: In a small bowl, stir together the onion, parsley, orange zest, cranberry sauce and some salt and pepper.
When the burgers have about 1 minute left, place 2 slices of cheese over each patty and cover the pan loosely with aluminum foil to melt the cheese. Serve the burgers on top of the toasted English muffins with 2 slices of bacon and scoop of cranberry sauce on each.