Serves 6 servings
Originally aired September 16, 2008
- 1 box whole wheat penne
- 1 tablespoon EVOO - Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup milk or half-and-half
- Salt and ground black pepper
- A pinch of nutmeg
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano, plus some for topping
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini beans, drained
- 2 boxes frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed in a kitchen towel to remove excess moisture
- 2 6-ounce cans tuna in water, drained
Preheat oven to 400F.
Place a large pot of water over high heat and bring up to a boil to cook the pasta. Once at a boil, add some salt and the pasta and cook until al dente, according to package directions. Drain pasta thoroughly, return it to the pot and reserve.
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat 1 turn of the pan of EVOO and the butter. Cook garlic and onion until tender, about 2-3 minutes. Sprinkle in flour and cook for another minute then whisk in chicken stock and half-and-half, season with salt, ground black pepper and nutmeg. Bring it up to a bubble and thicken.
Turn off the heat, fold in the parsley, grated Parmigiano Reggiano, cannellini beans, spinach, tuna, and penne. Pour the mixture into a 13x9" baking dish and top with remaining cheese. Place in the oven to brown the topping, about 10 minutes.
Serve with your favorite simple salad alongside.