Aired July 23, 2008
- 3 red onions, roughly chopped and divided
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 bunch scallions
- Juice of 2 limes
- 2 jalapeo or serrano peppers, seeded
- 2 to 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon (about a palmful) sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon (about a palmful) cumin
- 2 teaspoons (about 2/3 palmful) allspice
- 1 teaspoon (about 1/3 palmful) cinnamon
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup EVOO - Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus some for drizzling
- 2 whole chickens, about 4-5 pounds each
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pineapple, peeled, cored and cut into chunks
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1 green bell pepper
Preheat oven to 400F.
Place one red onion, the garlic, scallions, lime juice, jalapeo peppers, red wine vinegar, orange juice, paprika, cumin, allspice, cinnamon and thyme in a food processor and pulse to combine. While running, stream in the EVOO to form a thick paste.
Place the chickens in a roasting pan and season generously with salt and pepper. Rub the paste on the chicken and place in the oven to cook until the internal temperature reaches 165F, about 1 hour.
Place the pineapple, bell peppers and 2 red onions on a baking tray. Season with salt and pepper and drizzle them with some EVOO. Place tray in the oven 30 minutes before the chicken is done cooking.
Serve up one of the chickens and half of the roasted vegetables and pineapple mixture for dinner number one. Deeelish!