Aired July 21, 2008
- 1 12- to 16-ounce package ravioli, any flavor filling such as cheese, spinach, etc.
- 3 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 to 3 tablespoons aged balsamic vinegar
- Grated Parmigiano Reggiano, for sprinkling
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup (about a handful) chopped basil
- 10 to 12 strawberries, cleaned, stems removed and quartered
Bring a large pot of water to a boil for ravioli. Once boiling, salt water and drop in ravioli. Cook according to package directions, until ravioli expand, float to the top and are al dente. Drain thoroughly.
While the ravioli are cooking, melt the butter in a medium-size skillet over low heat and let it begin to brown -- you will smell a nutty aroma. Add the cooked ravioli to the skillet, raise the heat and turn ravioli in butter to heat through.
Add balsamic vinegar to the pan and cook a minute or two longer to reduce the vinegar and glaze the ravioli. The vinegar will become thick and syrup-like. Add cheese, salt and pepper to the pasta and transfer to a platter or serving plate. Garnish with some of the basil and strawberries.