Serves 4 servings
Originally aired July 7, 2008
- 4 veal scallops, about 6 ounces each and 1/4-inch thick
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- For the sauteed vegetables
- 1 red bell pepper, cored and seeded
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cored and seeded
- 1 medium eggplant, trimmed
- 1 zucchini, trimmed
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove (unpeeled), smashed
- Few thyme sprigs
- Sea salt and black pepper
- Splash of balsamic vinegar
Mince the vegetables. Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet with the garlic. Tip in the bell peppers, eggplant, and thyme, and cook over high heat for 3 to 4 minutes. Add the zucchini.
Season and saut for 2 minutes until the vegetables are just tender. Take off the heat and dress with the remaining olive oil and balsamic vinegar; check the seasoning. Keep warm.
Coat the veal all over with the flour seasoned with salt and pepper, shaking off any excess. Heat the olive oil in a wide pan and saut the veal over high heat for 1 minutes on each side until golden brown. (Do this in two batches if your pan is not wide enough).
Transfer the scallops to warm plates and spoon the sauted vegetables over them to serve.