Aired May 21, 2008
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 vine ripe tomatoes, seeded and, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup black olives, pitted and chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup fresh feta, crumbled
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Juice of 1 lemon plus 1/2 tablespoon zest
- 2 tablespoons EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 English cucumbers, seedless
In a large mixing bowl, mix together the onion, pepper, tomatoes, olives, oregano, feta, parsley, lemon juice and zest, and EVOO. Season with salt and pepper, and reserve.
Peel the cucumbers partially, so it has 4 stripes of skin going down the entire length of the cucumber. Trim the ends of the cucumbers and cut each cucumber into slices 3/4 of an inch thick -- you should have about 20 pieces. Scoop out the center of each slice with a melon baler, leaving a shell of flesh.
Scoop about 1 to 2 tablespoons of the Mediterranean salad into the cucumber cups and enjoy your refreshing bite-size snack!