Serves 5-6 servings
Originally aired April 23, 2008
- 2 tablespoons EVOO - Extra Virgin Olive Oil (eyeball it)
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
- 1/2 pound shitake mushrooms, finely chopped by hand or pulsed in the food processor
- 1/2 pound cremini mushrooms, finely chopped by hand or pulsed in the food processor
- 1/2 pound button mushrooms, finely chopped by hand or pulsed in the food processor
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup cream, enough to bind
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons chives, chopped
- 1 sprig fresh tarragon, leaves removed and chopped
- 1 13x10" sheet puff pastry dough, defrosted
- 1/2 cup white cheddar cheese, shredded
Preheat oven to 400F.
To a large pan over medium-high heat, add EVOO. When hot, add the shallots and garlic and cook until slightly tender, about 1 minute. Add the chopped mushrooms and cook down until tender, about 5 minutes. Add just enough cream so the mixture starts binding together. Season with some salt and pepper, remove pan from heat. Stir in the chives and tarragon and let cool.
When the mushrooms are cool, lay the pastry dough out on a nonstick baking sheet. Spread the cooled mushroom mixture evenly on top of the dough and sprinkle with cheese.
Transfer to the oven and bake until golden brown and cooked through, about 20 minutes. Once the dough is done baking, let cool then cut into 1 1/2 to 2-inch squares (about 35 total).