Aired February 19, 2008
- 1 1/2 cups jasmine or basmati rice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 large, firm eggplant, half peeled, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped or grated
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 2 rounded tablespoons mild red curry paste, found in the international foods aisle, or curry powder
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1/4 cup (a few heaping tablespoons) mango chutney
- A handful cilantro, chopped (optional)
- Sliced or slivered almonds, toasted
- Thinly sliced scallions
- Store-bought naan bread or whole wheat pitas
Prepare rice according to package directions.
While rice is simmering, start the curry: Heat a nonstick skillet over medium to medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, add EVOO, 2 turns around the pan, eggplant, onion and bell pepper. Cover pan and cook 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add garlic and tomato paste, cook about 1 minute more then add the vegetable stock, curry paste and chickpeas.
Stir in mango chutney and salt, and simmer for 1-2 minutes over low heat for flavors to combine. Remove curry from heat and stir in cilantro.
To serve, ladle curry into shallow bowls then scoop rice into the center of the bowls. Garnish your curry with lots of toasted almonds, cilantro and scallions, and serve with naan bread or pitas alongside.