Serves 4 servings
Originally aired December 29, 2007
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 3 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large, softball-size onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, grated or finely chopped
- 1/4 cup balsamic (eyeball it)
- 1 quart chicken stock (use vegetable to make it vegetarian)
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 3 to 4 cups bread ends from freezer
- Salt and black pepper
- 10 basil leaves, torn
- Parmigiano Reggiano, for passing
Place a large soup pot over medium-high heat with 2 turns of the pan of EVOO, about 2 tablespoons. Add the peppers, onion and garlic, and cook, stirring every now and then, for 3-4 minutes, until the veggies start to get tender.
Add the balsamic vinegar, chicken stock and crushed tomatoes to the pot and bring up to a bubble. Add the bread pieces right from the freezer, some salt and pepper, and simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring every now and then. Let the soup thicken - when you can stick a spoon in it, it's done!
Taste and re-season with salt and pepper. To serve, garnish each portion with some of the torn basil leaves and pass some grated Parmigiano Reggiano at the table.
This is one of many "Yum-o!" recipes it's good and good for you. To find out more about Yum-o!, Rachael's nonprofit organization, go to www.yum-o.org.