Serves 6-8 servings
Originally aired November 16, 2007
- 1 16-ounce box traditional vegetarian stuffing mix
- 3 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 1/2 sticks butter
- 3 sprigs thyme, stems removed and leaves finely chopped
- 2 sprigs sage, stems removed and leaves finely chopped
- 1 Vidalia (sweet) onion, finely chopped
- 3 stalks celery (about 1 cup), finely chopped
- 2 Fuji apples, peeled, cored and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 3 cups liquid (an equal mix of wine, beer and vegetable stock)
Preheat oven to 350F.
Empty the stuffing mix into a large mixing bowl and reserve. Place a medium saut pan over medium-high heat with the EVOO, about three turns of the pan, and melt the butter.
Add the onion, celery and apples to the pan and allow them to cook 5 minutes, until they start to get tender. Add the herbs, cook a minute or two, then add the liquids and simmer 5 minutes or so.
Pour everything in the pan into the bowl with the stuffing mix, tossing everything lightly to combine it all. Transfer the stuffing to a lightly greased baking dish and bake for 25-30 minutes, until slightly dried. Serve immediately.