Aired October 31, 2007
- 1 pound extra-broad egg noodles
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 3 sprigs (a small handful) fresh dill, roughly chopped, divided
- 20 chives (a small handful) roughly chopped, divided
- 1 large (about 1 pound) or 2 sirloin steaks (about 8-ounces each)
- 1/2 cup flour (eyeball it)
- 1/2 small onion, peeled
- 4 to 5 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 teaspoons (about 2/3 of a palmful) smoked paprika
- 1 to 2 cups beef stock
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 4-ounce jar pimentos, thoroughly drained and chopped
Place the steak or steaks in the freezer for about 10 minutes. Remove the steak from the freezer and slice it against the grain as thin as you can manage. The slices should be the size of the egg noodles.
Place a large pot of water over high heat and bring to a boil. Once boiling, add some salt and the egg noodles, and cook according to package directions. Drain thoroughly and reserve noodles in the cooking pot. Add 2 tablespoons of butter and half of the dill and chives to the pot, and stir to combine.
Once the water for the noodles is close to coming up to a boil, place a large skillet over medium-high heat with 2 tablespoons of butter and 2 tablespoons of EVOO, about 2 turns of the pan. While the skillet is heating up, season the steak slices with some salt and freshly ground black pepper, then sprinkle with the flour and toss to coat. Add the coated sliced steak to the skillet, spreading the pieces out in an even layer.
Grate the onion and garlic directly into the pot over the meat. Add the smoked paprika and stir to combine. Cook for about 1 minute then add the beef stock and sour cream. Add in the drained pimentos, stir to combine, bring up to a bubble and simmer until slightly thickened, about a minute or so. Check the seasonings, adding salt and pepper to taste.
To serve, divide the noodles between 4 serving bowls and top with some of the "Ghoul-ash" and its sauce. Garnish each portion with the remaining dill and chives. Serve immediately.