Aired September 20, 2007
- 1 pound whole wheat penne
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 large or 4 small zucchini, chopped into bite-size chunks
- 1 yellow squash, chopped into bite-size chunks
- 1 red pepper, chopped into bite-size chunks
- 1 red onion, chopped into bite-size chunks
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, blanched and toasted
- 1 cup basil
- 3/4 cup parsley
- 1/4 cup mint
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups ricotta cheese
Preheat oven to 400F.
Place a large pot of water over high heat and bring up to a boil to cook the pasta. Once at a boil, add some salt and the pasta and cook until al dente, according to package directions. Right before draining, remove and reserve 1 cup of the pasta cooking water. Drain pasta thoroughly, return to the pot and reserve.
While the pasta is cooking, place chopped zucchini, yellow squash, red pepper and onion on baking sheet. Drizzle the vegetables with 3 tablespoons EVOO, and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Roast for about 15 minutes or until tender and golden brown.
While vegetables are roasting, place the almonds, herbs, garlic, some salt and pepper in a food processor. Pulse the processor while drizzling in the 1/4 cup EVOO. Transfer the pesto to a large mixing bowl and mix in the Parmigiano-Reggiano. Add the cup of reserved pasta-cooking liquid to the bowl and mix it to combine. Add the pasta and the roasted veggies to the bowl and give it a good toss to coat everything with the pesto.
In a small mixing bowl, combine ricotta cheese and freshly ground black pepper.
Spoon pasta into 6 dishes and top each dish with dollop of the peppery ricotta mixture.