Aired August 28, 2007
- 1 pound rigatoni with lines
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 8 slices pancetta, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 28-ounce can crushed San Marzano tomatoes
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigano Reggiano, plus some to pass at the table
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped (about a handful)
Place a large pot filled with water over high heat and bring up to a boil. Once boiling, add some salt and the pasta, and cook according to package directions until al dente. Drain and reserve.
While the pasta water is coming up to a boil, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat with 1 turn of the pan of EVOO, about 1 tablespoon. Once hot, add the pancetta and cook until crispy, about 3-4 minutes. Add the onion, bay leaf and garlic, and continue to cook for about 3-4 more minutes. Add the chicken stock and the tomatoes, bring up to a simmer and cook for 5-10 minutes.
Transfer the cooked pasta to a large serving bowl, top with the sauce and the cheese and toss to coat. Serve with some cheese to pass at the table.