Serves 4 servings, 2 hot dogs per person
Originally aired August 28, 2007
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- 8 thin slices pancetta
- 8 good quality, all-beef hot dogs
- 4 vine-ripe tomatoes, cut in half, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/2 cup arugula, cleaned and chopped
- 1/2 ball fresh mozzarella, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon (eyeball it) red wine vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 hot dog buns
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
Preheat a large, nonstick skillet over medium-low heat with 2 turns of the pan of EVOO, about 2 tablespoons. Wrap a slice of the pancetta around one hot dog and repeat with the remaining hot dogs and pancetta slices.
Add wrapped hot dogs to the hot skillet and cook on all sides until the pancetta is crisp and the dogs are heated through, about 5-6 minutes.
While the dogs are cooking prepare the Italian salsa: In a bowl, combine the chopped tomato, basil, arugula, mozzarella, red wine vinegar, remaining tablespoon of EVOO and season with salt and pepper.
Pry open the hot dog buns, arrange them open-faced on a cookie sheet and toast them under the broiler until golden brown.
While the hot dog buns are toasting, place the butter in a small saucepan over low heat and add the crushed garlic. With a pastry brush, brush the toasted side of the buns with the garlic butter.
To serve, mound a small amount of salsa onto the garlic hot dog bun and top with a pancetta-wrapped hot dog.