Serves 8 servings
Originally aired August 28, 2007
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1/2 of a 14-ounce package firm tofu, finely chopped
- 1 pound shelled shrimp, tails removed and deveined
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups minute rice
- 1/4 cup thyme leaves, stripped from stem and finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 15-ounce can stewed tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat EVOO in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
Cook tofu until browned. Add shrimp and cook for about 4 minutes or until they turn pink. Add pepper and onion, and cook until softened, about another 4-5 minutes. Stir in rice and toast for about a minute. Add thyme, chili powder, cayenne pepper, stewed tomatoes and chicken broth. Bring to a bubble, turn it down to a simmer, put a lid on it and let it cook for about 15 minutes.