Aired August 28, 2007
- 1 1/4 ground turkey breast
- 4-ounce chunk Monterey pepper jack cheese, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, chopped (about a handful)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (a palmful)
- 1 tablespoon grill seasoning
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce, optional
- 1/4 small red onion
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- 1/4 cup store-bought chipotle salsa
- Juice of 1 lime
- 3 hearts of romaine, chopped
- 2 large handfuls red corn chips, crushed
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
In a bowl, combine the ground turkey, cheese, cilantro, chili powder, grill seasoning, cumin and hot sauce. Grate the red onion directly over the meat (grating the onion gives the patties added moisture) and mix well with your hands.
Score the meat into 4 equal portions with the side of your hand then form each portion into 1-inch-thick patties. Preheat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat with 2 turns of the pan of EVOO, about 2 tablespoons. Cook patties 6-7 minutes on each side or until cooked through.
While the burgers are cooking, make the dressing: Place the chipotle salsa in a food processor, blender or small bowl along with the lime juice then slowly drizzle the remaining EVOO as the machine runs or as you whisk by hand.
In a salad bowl, combine lettuce, crushed corn chips and tomatoes, drizzle with the dressing and toss to combine. Taste and season with a little salt and pepper to taste.
To serve, divide the dressing between 4 serving plates and top each one with a burger.