Aired August 28, 2007
- 1 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO) plus some for drizzling
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup aged balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 15-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 stick butter
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 loaf crusty Italian bread, split in half lengthwise
- 2 strip steaks, about 10 to 12 ounces each
- Grill seasoning
- 8-10 slices provolone cheese
Preheat the oven to 375F. Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
For the BBQ sauce: Place a medium saucepot over medium heat and add EVOO. Add onion and cook for about 4-5 minutes. Add sugar, balsamic, Worcestershire and tomato sauce, and cook for about 15 minutes. Turn to low and keep warm.
While BBQ sauce is simmering, melt the butter with the garlic in a small pot or in the microwave. Brush the halves of crusty Italian bread with the butter-garlic mixture, place them on foil or a cookie sheet and toast in the oven for about 10-15 minutes, until golden.
While your bread is toasting, season steaks with grill seasoning and drizzle with EVOO. Cook on each side for about 8-10 minutes. You can also broil the steaks on each side for 8-10 minutes.
Remove the meat from the grill or broiler and let rest a few minutes. Slice on an angle. Place sliced steak on top of the garlic bread then slather with the BBQ sauce and top with provolone slices. Put back in the oven to melt the cheese, just about a minute or two.
Serve with a salad of mixed greens dressed with a little EVOO and vinegar alongside.