About 15 servings
Aired August 28, 2007
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms caps, diced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 splash good quality dry sherry
- 1 cup half-and-half
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 palmful flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 package party-size (little squares) rye or pumpernickel bread
Toast the almonds in a small skillet over medium-high heat until lightly browned. Remove and reserve.
Heat a medium-sized skillet over medium heat and add butter. Once it melts, add mushrooms and saut until tender. Add flour to the mushrooms and cook for a minute or two.
Add the sherry. Once the alcohol has burned off and the sherry has reduced a bit, a couple of minutes, stir in the half-and-half.
Cook until thickened and season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat, stir in the almonds, nutmeg, and parsley, and pour into a serving bowl and serve immediately with bread alongside.