Serves 4 servings
Originally aired August 28, 2007
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO), corn oil or vegetable oil
- 2 pounds ground sirloin
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 rounded tablespoon (a palmful) chili powder
- 1 tablespoon (a palmful) grill seasoning, recommended brand Montreal Grill Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon (a palmful) ground cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon (half a palmful) ground coriander
- 1 bottle lager-style beer
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 28-ounce can chunky-style crushed tomatoes
Heat a large pot over medium-high heat with 2 turns of the pan of EVOO, about 2 tablespoons. When the oil ripples, add the ground sirloin and crumble the meat as it cooks, about 3 minutes. Add the onion and garlic, chili powder, grill seasoning, cumin and coriander. Cook another 5 minutes.
Add beer and cook another minute, stirring to loosen any bits from the bottom of the pan. Add the stock and tomatoes, and bring to a bubble. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Serve with your favorite chili toppings.