Serves 4 servings
Originally aired August 28, 2007
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO), plus some for drizzling
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ripe mango, peeled and diced
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 jalapeo pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/4 seedless cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- Spicy potato chips, any brand you like
Heat a large nonstick skillet with EVOO over medium-high heat.
In a medium mixing bowl, combine chicken with spices and sugar. Drizzle in EVOO and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Mix to combine. Score the meat into 4 equal parts and then form 4 patties, each about 1 1/2-inch thick. Add the burgers to the skillet and cook about 5 minutes on both sides or until cooked all the way through, there shouldn't be any pink in the middle.
While the burgers cook, make the mango salsa. In a small bowl, combine the mango, red pepper, jalapeo, cucumber and lime juice.
When the burgers are done, transfer them to a serving platter with the mango salsa and spicy chips alongside.