Serves 4 servings
Originally aired August 28, 2007
- 1 10-ounce jar apricot all-fruit preserve
- 1/3 cup honey (eyeball it)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard (eyeball it)
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 box puff pastry, defrosted and refrigerated until ready for use (recommended brand, Pepperidge Farms)
- 1 12-ounce package pre-cooked apple chicken sausage, or any kind you like (about 4-5 links)
- 1/2 head iceberg lettuce, chopped
- 2 apples, any kind you like, cored and sliced
- 1 15-ounce can Mandarin orange segments, drained
Preheat oven to 450 F.
In a medium-size mixing bowl, combine the apricot preserves and honey. Pour 1/3 of the apricot mixture into another bowl and whisk in the red wine vinegar and soy sauce for your salad dressing. Add the mustard to the remaining apricot for the chicks and dipping sauce.
In a small bowl, combine the sesame seeds and the poppy seeds and reserve for sprinkling later.
Cut each sausage into 2 even pieces. Spread some of the apricot-honey mixture over puff pastry, reserving some for dipping later. Cut the puff pastry sheet in half and then cut 5 equal rectangles out of each half, making 10 equal rectangles. Lay 1 sausage chunk an inch from the edge of the puff pastry. From there, roll the puff pastry and sausage to the opposite edge of the square. Give it a quick pinch to keep this chick in the sleeping bag!
Lay the chicks out on a baking sheet with enough room to allow the puff pastry to rise. Brush a little more of the apricot mixture on top of each sleeping bag, then sprinkle each one with a little of the sesame and poppy seed mixture.
Bake according to the puff pastry package directions, or until golden brown all over, about 12-15 minutes.
While the chicks are in the oven, make the salad: In a large serving bowl, combine the lettuce, apples and mandarin oranges. Toss with the reserved dressing.
Remove the chicks from the oven and place on a serving platter. Serve the reserved apricot mustard dippin' sauce and the orange and apple salad alongside. DELISH!!!