Serves 4 servings
Originally aired August 28, 2007
- 1 bag frozen crinkle-cut fries
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 8 slices Canadian bacon, sliced thin and chopped
- 3 tablespoons water
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 bottle Molson Canadian beer, or 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
Preheat oven to 400F. Place fries onto a baking sheet and bake according to package directions.
Place a medium sauce pot over medium-high heat, add EVOO. Cook bacon until it is slightly browned and crispy. Remove half of the bacon from the pot, and set aside.
In a small bowl, mix the cornstarch and water together with your fingers until it reaches a heavy cream-like consistency. Add the garlic and onion to the pot with the remaining bacon and cook for 3-4 minutes. Slowly add the beer or stock. Bring up to a boil and cook for 2-3 minutes.
When the fries are almost ready, pour in the cornstarch mixture, a little at a time, and whisk until thickened, about 1-2 minutes. The mixture may be thin at first, but it will thicken as it cooks. Continue to cook for about 5 minutes.
When the fries are done, pour them into a deep serving dish and sprinkle the cheese and the reserved bacon all over them. Top with the gravy.