Serves 4 servings
Originally aired August 28, 2007
- 3 cups breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1/2 cup cumin powder
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large, gallon-size, re-sealable plastic bag
- 1 whole chicken, cut into 10 pieces
- Zest and juice of 2 limes
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 3 vine-ripe tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 heart of romaine lettuce, cleaned and chopped
Preheat the oven to 400F.
Mix the breadcrumbs, lime zest, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper in the plastic bag and toss to combine.
Add the chicken to the bag, a couple pieces at a time. Seal the bag and give it a good shimmy-shake to coat the chicken.
Place the coated chicken on a baking sheet and repeat with remaining chicken until all the pieces are coated. Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until cooked through.
Into a container with a lid, add the lime juice, garlic and EVOO. In a salad bowl, add the tomatoes, red pepper, red onion and romaine, and pour dressing over the salad.
Season with salt and pepper, sprinkle with chopped cilantro and toss to coat. Serve salad alongside the chicken.