Aired August 28, 2007
- 1 refrigerated pizza dough (recommended brand Pillsbury), or one from your favorite pizza joint
- Cornmeal, for sprinkling on pizza pan
- Extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO), for drizzling
- 1/4 pound pancetta, chopped
- 2 large egg yolks, beaten
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup (a generous handful) grated Romano or Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, whatever you have in the fridge
- 1 large clove garlic, grated
- Black pepper
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups shredded provolone cheese
- A handful of flat-leaf parsley, chopped
Preheat oven to 450F.
Roll out dough into a large, thin, round or rectangular shape. Scatter a little cornmeal on the pizza pan or baking sheet before placing rolled-out dough on it.
Drizzle dough with EVOO and prick it with fork tines in a few places. Place in oven and partially bake for 7-8 minutes.
Drizzle EVOO in a small skillet and heat over medium-high heat. Cook pancetta until crisp, 4-5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and cool. Brush the baked pizza crust with some of the grease from the skillet you cooked the pancetta in for a little extra flavor.
Add beaten egg yolks, ricotta, Romano, grated garlic and black pepper to a bowl and stir to combine.
Spread the ricotta cheese mixture out over the pizza crust, then top with provolone cheese.
Scatter the reserved pancetta all over and bake 12 minutes or until crust is crisp and the cheese is evenly golden on top. Scatter parsley over cooked pizza, cut into wedges and serve.