Serves 4 servings
Originally aired August 28, 2007
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO), plus some for drizzling
- 16 scallops, muscles removed
- Salt and black pepper
- 1/2 pound prosciutto
- 2 portabello mushrooms, gills scraped out with a spoon, caps thinly sliced
- 5 to 6 cups arugula
- 2 ribs celery including leafy greens, thinly sliced
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- Juice of 1 lemon
Heat a large stainless steel skillet with 2 turns of the pan of EVOO, about 2 tablespoons, until it's smoking hot.
Season the scallops with salt and pepper, and add them to the hot skillet one by one. Make sure you don't overcrowd the pan.
Cook the scallops until golden in color, about 3-4 minutes on each side, depending on how big of a skillet you have. You might need to cook them in 2 batches.
While the scallops are cooking, lay the prosciutto on a serving platter, completely covering the surface from edge to edge. In a large mixing bowl, combine the sliced portabellos, arugula, celery, onion, lemon juice, salt and pepper and a good drizzle of EVOO.
Toss to coat and arrange on center of the prosciutto-covered platter. Remove the cooked scallops from the skillet, arrange on top of the salad, eat and enjoy.